Thursday, July 29, 2010

Plymouth National Wax Museum-RIP









One thing I found at Brimfield left me heartbroken. A woman was selling the figures & props from the Plymouth National Wax Museum in America's Hometown, Plymouth, Mass. As a kid, we went to Plymouth every summer & visited the Mayflower, Plymouth Rock & The Plymouth National Wax Museum. I took my own kids there, a few years ago & was planning on a return trip this summer. Needless to say, I was horrified when I saw the figures on display at Brimfield. Apparently, a couple of years ago, the museum's lease came up & they were unable to reach an agreement with the landlord on a new one, so they closed the doors & packed everything up. I'm shocked that no one in this historic town made an effort to save this place or at least find a new location. After 40 years of teaching a very kitschy, entertaining history lesson to people of all ages & nationalities, the wax museum is now, you guessed it, luxury condos! The woman that rescued the figures & settings is still hoping to find someone to buy the whole lot & set it up again, but she didn't sound very optimistic. Sigh! Another piece of terrific roadside Americana bites the dust. I'm sure those 6 luxury condos are much more important to the town of Plymouth. Shame on the town government for letting this wonderful place go. I had trouble just finding any news of the closing online. If you have any cool or kitschy Americana near you, patronize it as much as you can, before it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment